Wednesday 24 June 2009

The easiest way of doing a difficult task

We’ve all heard the saying that the best way to eat an elephant is a piece at a time. And we’ve probably all been told that if we’ve got a task to do that is difficult, we should break it down into small chunks.

But, have you ever tried it – I mean really tried it?

I’ve known this principle for a while, but I haven’t really tried breaking a task right down until very recently.

Sometimes on my to-do list though, there’s a task that I really, really don’t want to do. Even if it won’t take very long, if I don’t want to do it, it will literally sit there for days and days. And sometimes, even weeks!

I know when it’s a difficult task too because it feels like hard work and I’d rather do ANYTHING instead of that task.

Over the last couple of days though, I’ve found a possible way around that – to break the task down and keep breaking it down until it feels manageable. Let me give you an example. I’m making some calls at the moment for a company – only 10 of them, but they feel like really hard work.

So instead of putting “Do calls for x” on my to-do list, I’ve put “Do call 1 for x”, “Do call 2 for x”, “Do call 3 for x” and so on and really been specific about what the task is.

What’s great about this is that when I’ve done one call, I can tick it off my to-do list instead of having to wait until I’ve done all of them. It’s a lot more motivating I can tell you. And you know what – all the calls are done now too!

So, if you’re stuck on a task, try really breaking it down until the point where it doesn’t feel like hard work and then get on with it. Even if you do the task one bite at a time, I promise you’ll eat the whole elephant.

No comments: