Tuesday 30 June 2009

The consequences of not doing things

This morning, I decided not to attend a networking event that I was booked onto. Why? Well, three reasons really. The first was the pile of stuff sitting on my desk looking at me and the second and probably more honest reason is that my hubby is in China at the moment with work and I hadn't spoken to him for 3 days. Because of the time difference, the only opportunity that I have to speak to him would have been when I was at the networking event. Oh and the third reason was the 1 hour travelling time either side.

So, I decided not to go.

But, not going to places has consequences. There could have been a contact there who really needed what we do. The speaker could have been excellent and given me lots of ideas to help develop the business and of course, I have missed the opportunity to spread the awareness around about ET and what we do.

Weighing up the two sides of the argument, it begs an interesting question - when do you say that you're not doing to go to that networking event in favour of other work?

I guess that depends on you and your business, but at the moment, in the current economic climate, I think that probably I made the wrong call this morning. Surely, now more than ever it's important to get your message out there and take advantage of all the opportunities that come along.

Lesson learnt!

No comments: