Monday 5 October 2009

Talking till I'm blue in the face

Ahhh! How many times do I have to repeat myself?

I have talked before about BUILDING a relationship with people before you ask them for something and yet I have two requests in the last two weeks that want me to just do things for people even though I don't know them, trust them or know anything about them.

Both of these requests have been to speak on our workshops. Fact is, it takes a lot of time and effort to get bums on seats for these - why should I let someone come along and take advantage of that and speak on it when we've done all the hard work? Oh and did I mention these people want to be paid for speaking as well!!

As you can see, I'm pretty passionate about this subject.

Please, please, please remember that most small business owners have NO time, are VERY busy and if you want something out of them, you really need to think about what's in it for them. Why should they do something that benefits only you?

These business owners could have said:
  • Would you like to run a workshop together - we can both jointly market it to our lists?
  • I'm happy to come and speak for free
  • In return for me speaking at your event, I'd like to invite you to come and speak at mine

And so on...

Then, I might have been more willing to consider this. But, until the day comes that some small businesses actually think about more than themselves, I guess I'm just going to be posting furious posts about this subject.

Anyone else experienced this?

No comments: