Wednesday 23 September 2009

The importance of backing up

You know how businesses who provide computer services are always talking about the importance of backing up your documents? Well, this week I found out why.

I was working on a marketing tender to send into an organisation that was looking for a marketing company. I'd just reached page 54 because the organisation wanted your inside leg measurement when my computer crashed and I honestly thought for a second that I'd lost the lot.

Luckily my computer restored the document for me and I didn't lose my work, but this experience really did make me realise why those computer companies stress this as crucial. Imagine if it wasn't just that document, but our whole client files and our databases that went missing!

We do back up on a regular basis, but it's weekly rather than daily - backing up more often is definitely on my to-do list now!

No comments: