Tuesday 12 May 2009

Why you have to repeat your message

Yesterday, I received an email from a contact of mine. He referred to a promotion I'd been running and asked why I was not keeping the promotion going if it was working so well.

From his email, he'd completely missed the fact that I'd actually been running the promotion for the last two weeks and had reached the deadline I had told everyone about. As such, I needed to end the promotion for that reason.

It made me realise that although we're always told people have to see a message 7-10 times before they register it, this is sooo true.

On hindsight, I should have referred to the promotion in the latest email and said that the deadline had passed and it was ending - because my contact had only noticed this email, it appeared out of context and didn't make sense to him.

So, yes you absolutely need to repeat your message and keep repeating it, but I also learnt a valuable lesson in that I need to refer to the relevant promotion in each communication. It may be the 5th message from me, but it may have only just caught someone's eye and they need to know what I'm talking about too.

No comments: