Thursday 17 April 2008

Chasing people

I often get asked if you can follow people up too many times so that it seems like you're chasing them. And the answer to this question is yes as proved by an experience early this week when after chasing a potential client, they politely but firmly told me to 'go away'.

I think the main issue with following up is that the UK as a nation is very bad at saying no to people, so consequently we tell people "give me a call back in 2 weeks" or "I'll be speaking to my manager at the end of the month - give me a call back then" and if you're organised in your business, you dutifully follow up with the person at that time.

If only the person we're talking to would have the confidence to say "no, I'm not interested right now, but I will get in touch with you when I am', we'd know when to leave well alone.

Unfortunately, until that situation changes, we're left with no choice but to follow-up (or chase) people. Does that mean you shouldn't follow-up? Absolutely not and believe me if you don't follow-up, you will definitely NOT get the business.

But I would (for your own sanity) observe the rule of 3 - that is, if someone you've followed up with has given you an excuse three times for something, then they're not ready to buy just yet. With these clients, just drop them a quick email every 6 months or so to see how they're getting on. You'll feel much happier and you'll also know where you stand.

And if all else fails, they'll soon tell you when they've had enough - as this client did with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.