Friday 11 January 2008

Work / Life Balance

Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm sure like me, you've been setting your New Year's Resolutions over the last week and a bit and (hopefully) trying to stick with them.

Quite a lot of my resolutions this year are about me - what I want to do personally and have very little to do with the business. It got me thinking - can you truely run a business successfully and have a life?

Over Christmas, I read Gordon Ramsay's New Book "Playing with Fire" which was a good read and highly recommended. But, it's clear from the book that he throws everything he has into his work and lives the personal life to Tara (his wife). He asks a question later on in the book about whether or not you want to really be rich and successful and implies that if you do, you will need to make some sacrifices.

My take on this is that yes, I want the business to be successful and want to make money, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to do that at the expense of other things - because at the end of the day I want to have something more to talk about than the business on my death bed!

But, I'm also aware that the more you focus on other things aside from the business, the more difficult it is to thoroughly devote yourself.

So, I ask the question again - is it possible to truely run a successful business and have a life? I'd certainly be intersted in your thoughts!

Helen

No comments: