Wednesday 19 November 2008

The Lowest Form of Marketing

I had an experience the other day that I hate with a passion. I consider it to be the lowest form of marketing and what's worse the person doing it often has no idea that's how they're coming across.

The technique is to pick holes in what someone else has done in an attempt to sell their own products and services. So for instance, if you ask for comments on your new website (as I did once), these people would tell you how terrible it is and pick hole after hole in it and then point out how they could do a better job for you.

The other day it was presentation skills - unfortunately the person concerned then had the cheek to follow it up with an email reiterating what she could do for me. And received quite a curt response from me explaining why I wouldn't be using her services, but that I could help her improve her marketing technique (let's see how she likes it).

So, if you ever get experience of this marketing technique in the future, please don't put up with it. It's a terrible form of marketing and the person concerned deserves to know that it's bang out of order. And if you've ever done this yourself (which I hope you haven't), make sure that you never do it again in the future...

No comments: