Monday 10 March 2008

Do we need another bank holiday?

I had an email today from a member of my staff asking me to sign up to a government petition for an extra bank holiday. While I'm sure the team want another bank holiday, I'm not sure they're thinking through the possible implications of this.

Because let's face it, I really don't want an extra bank holiday. Why? Quite simply because it creates havoc with the business. People just don't want to buy around bank holidays - they want to enjoy time with their families and that's fair enough (if it was just one day).

But bank holidays don't tend to be just one day do they? People tend to take the week off too and use the short working week to maximise their holidays. And with the new school calendar meaning different schools have different times of the year off, that's even worse!

I must admit that I always find it interesting that when people are working everyone wants another bank holiday and then when people become self-employed, they change their views! I'd be interested to hear what you think.

1 comment:

Barbara Edwards said...

I have just been discussing this topic with my husband (who is also self employed) and we are convinced that those who want the extra day off are probably aged 20-35 financially secure, no kids and so don't have child care worries. I remember the days...... Now, though we have just had two weeks of Easter holidays and in Feb. we both had to sit down and go through our schedule also allowing for the May bank holiday, the June bank holiday, teachers meetings, a confirmation in April and a Holy Communion in May - and also see about having a family holiday - our first one in eight years!!!! So please, please don't get me going on extra days off or I am liable to explode.